The Kids are Alright

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. When you put yourself out there, things are going to happen. It's just that when I'm dressed as my true self, those things are much more interesting. I had been wanting to get back down to Happy Nails in Charlotte to have my favorite manicurist, pedicurist, all around incredible person Holly do my nails. On a whim, I had a free afternoon and drove on down to the big city. Oh yes... as usual, that involved the usual hour of preperation (makeup, shaving, clothes, etc.). I've gotten my prep time down to half an hour if I don't have any shaving to do. Today it took 45 minutes, and I was ready to go.

When I arrived at Happy Nails, Holly was already working with some customers. So Cindy took care of my nails. It was enjoyable as always, and the gang always treats me very nicely. I went to the drying area across from a couple of ladies. Soon a young blonde who I guessed was in middle school sat down next to me. She looked at the other ladies nails and admired them. Then she look at mine (now polished in a very feminine fuschia) and said they looked pretty. I looked at hers now in an equally pretty French manicure and complimented her as well.

What ensued was a very light hearted girl talk. She asked me my name, and I found out hers was Cinder, short for Cinderella. We talked about school, nails, her mom (who was sitting nearby having her nails done and didn't seem to mind). I learned she had just finished sixth grade, and yes she looked older than she really was. I brought up my ensuing brow wax once my nails were done drying and how a little pain goes a long ways towards beauty. I then did about as feminine a thing as I can recall doing. I looked at her brows, these beautiful blonde wisps above her eyes, and told her, "You don't need to have your brows waxed. They're really beautiful." That brought a bit smile to her face.

Holly was ready to wax my brows. As she was waxing down my second brow, Cinder and her mom walked by. Cinder says to her mom, "Look how pretty her nails are." I hold out my left hand so mom can see, and she agrees wholeheartedly. We chat for a while as well before Holly rips more hair from my brows. Ouch! Mom still had to get her nails finished, and I wished Cinder good luck in school. They both wished me a happy weekend and smiled as I left.

In writing this now that I'm back safe at home away from the hustle and bustle of Charlotte, I am taken back by how normal and nice the conversation was. Was I passing that well? I doubt it. However, Cinder in particular was willing to treat me as a young woman. It didn't matter to her whether I was male or female. She thought my nails were pretty, and that started a beautiful conversation. I think she'll do alright in this world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Step Forward Into the Past

Imperfections

She Found